Alright, I started my graduate internship today. The day wasn't a "typical/normal" day but I am hoping that my experiences get better. Its wasn't horrible, but I did find myself continuously comparing this 'new adventure' to my past experiences with Crittenton hospital, including the people.
I'm having a hard time with the change. I know where I want to be, and where I want to work. A hospital, I really believe that working as a social worker in the hospital is my niche. Its where I belong and what I was created to do. I love the hospital atmosphere, as odd as it sounds, I am amazingly comfortable and at ease within the 4 walls of a hospital. I understand how it functions, and the purpose of my being there. I give support to patient's and families in need, assist with transfers to other facilities, arrange services and so on. Typically... social workers do that anywhere. But I love the pace in the hospital, and how each day is different. Today I got that feeling that my new internship is nothing like the old. Its working within the medical context, but its still not the same.
So all day I found myself wanting and wishing that I was back at Crittenton, where I was comfortable with the people I had really gotten to know. I found myself comparing my old field instructor (Denise) whom has become a great mentor and friend, to my new field instructor. The new gal is nice and everything, she is just not Denise.
I have to stop thinking like that. Its good to have a new and unknown experience, right? I highly dislike changes, especially when I was perfect happy at the hospital. All I can do is wait and hope that next week goes better and makes me feel like being at this hospice place will be okay. I just have to adjust and get use to all of the new things; including new people.
Okay...enough of my little rant.
Reminder to self:
It will be okay, and everything will work out. . . .

No comments:
Post a Comment